Edain McCoy (1957-2019) Pagan author, Witch, Brigid priestess, and shining guideposts for many a witch’s spiritual journey passed away today succumbing to influenza. She leave us with a legacy of a lifetime of works. One can measure the progression of her spirit through her works, and through the love that is flowing forth into the universe from all who knew her.
What you may not know about her is that she was an alumnus of the University of Texas with a B.A. in History; Member of Central Indiana Professional Writers (president 1996, media chair 1997)’ Authors Guild, Romance Writers American; Clan Eieannach Wittan Tradition (elder since 1996); Clan Eiernnach Coven S. Texas (priestess of Brighid since 1987). Also, she was listed in of Who’s Who Among American Women, and Who’s Who In America, was a stockbroker(!), and was into ballroom dancing. A very well-rounded person, there is so much more than the books could share.
“Witchcraft is a religion, and its primary purpose is the worship of and the seeking of reunion with the being or beings who created all life.” – Edain Mccoy, “If You Want to be a Witch”
Her books helped shape the paths this writer explored in youth. So many books from her are on my shelf right now that it seems like I could reach out and touch her essence. But it would taste a lie to try to limit her spirit to just what you would find on a bio page.
Facebook is so filled with memories and condolences, as well as shock. It is like the sky is crying right now in the American Pagan Diaspora, as so many have been lost in a short time. Pay attention, the leaders, the writers, and the elders are passing. She is the third in a line of heavy sorrows. First Conway, the Grimassi, now McCoy. Yet, she stands first in so many hearts.
- 1990 – Lady of the Night: A Handbook of Moon Magick & Rituals (Llewellyn Publications) ISBN 978-1567186604
- 1996 – Entering the Summerland: Customs and Rituals of Transition into the Afterlife (Llewellyn Publications) ISBN 978-1567186659
- 1997 – Mountain Magick: Folk Wisdom from the Heart of Appalachia (Llewellyn Publications) ISBN 978-1567186710
- 1999 – Astral Projection for Beginners (Llewellyn Publications) ISBN 978-1567186253
- 2000 – Bewitchments: Love Magick for Modern Romance (Llewellyn Publications) ISBN 978-1567187007
- 2000 – Witta: An Irish Pagan Tradition (Llewellyn Publications) ISBN 978-0875427324
- 2001 – The Sabbats: A New Approach to Living the Old Ways (Llewellyn Publications) ISBN 978-1-56718-663-5
- 2001 – Magick & Rituals of the Moon (Llewellyn Publications) ISBN
- 2001 – Enchantments: 200 Spells for Bath & Beauty Enhancement (Llewellyn Publications) ISBN 978-0738701684
- 2002 – Spellworking for Covens: Magick for Two or More (Llewellyn Publications) ISBN 978-0738702612
- 2002 – Making Magic for Witches and Pagans (Llewellyn Publications) ISBN 978-1567186703
- 2002 – Ostara: Customs, Spells & Rituals for the Rites of Spring (Llewellyn Publications) ISBN 978-0738700823
- 2002 – Celtic Women’s Spirituality: Accessing the Cauldron of Life (Llewellyn Publications) ISBN 978-1567186727
- 2002 – How to Do Automatic Writing (Llewellyn Publications) ISBN 978-1567186628
- 2002 – Celtic Myth & Magick: Harness the Power of the Gods and Goddesses (Llewellyn Publications) ISBN 978-1567186611
- 2002 – A Witch’s Guide to Faery Folk: Reclaiming Our Working Relationship with Invisible Helpers (Llewellyn Publications) ISBN 978-0875427331
- 2003 – Inside a Witches’ Coven (Llewellyn Publications) ISBN 978-1567186666
- 2003 – The Witch’s Coven: Finding or Forming Your Own Circle (Llewellyn Publications) ISBN 978-0738703886
- 2004 – Past-Life & Karmic Tarot (Llewellyn Publications) ISBN 978-0738705088
- 2004 – Advanced Witchcraft: Go Deeper, Reach Further, Fly Higher (Llewellyn Publications) ISBN 978-0738705132
- 2004 – If You Want to Be a Witch: A Practical Introduction to the Craft (Llewellyn Publications) ISBN 978-0738705149
- 2004 – Three Witches Dead & the Last One Said (PublishAmerica) ISBN 978-1413730944
- 2008 – The Healing Power of Faery: Working with Elementals and Nature Spirits to Soothe the Body and Soul (Provenance Press) ISBN 978-1598698091
So now, with a heavy heart, we see her go home. She shall fly. Can you see her? Close your eyes and listen to the song below this article. You might just feel your heart go with her as she ascends. Remember her words.
“Witchcraft is a religion, and its primary purpose is the worship of and the seeking of reunion with the being or beings who created all life.”
Goddess’s Speed, Edain.
“Vaughan Williams ~ The Lark Ascending”
I tried to make this article worthy of her contributions. I feel like a giant hole has been ripped into my soul from these recent deaths.
It’s a lovely, thoughtful article about her, heartfelt and informative. The music is perfect.